American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Showing initiative and willingness to undertake new projects: The enterprising children opened a lemonade stand.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a disposition for or a tendency to enterprise; ready to undertake, or resolute or prompt to attempt, important or untried schemes.
- Synonyms Adventurous, Enterprising. Rash, etc. (see adventurous); alert, stirring, energetic, smart, wide-awake.
- adj. Displaying bravery and daring in the attempt of some task.
- adj. Being very able and ingenious in business dealings.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having a disposition for enterprise; characterized by enterprise; resolute, active or prompt to attempt.
- adj. marked by imagination, initiative, and readiness to undertake new projects
“That a statement in the form of a Hypothetical Proposition may really be an Enthymeme (as observed in chap.v. § 4) can easily be shown by recasting one of the above Enthymemes thus: _If all free nations are enterprising, the Dutch are enterprising_.”
“To be enterprising is to keep your eyes open and your mind active.”
““An enterprising UK resident” I suspect that enterprising is quite illegal in the UK or at least officially discouraged.”
“Indeed, were it not for certain enterprising souls, the United States — as we know it — may never have come into being.”
“They were described as enterprising activists who had taken on a legal and social system which, in Marcelin's words, treats women's bodies as commodities.”
“Justin Hart, who we all know as the enterprising proprietor of”
“From a young age, she has always been very eager and enterprising, which is why 5 years ago, knowing that her mother had a plot of land, she saw a chance to set up her own business so that she could generate an income and employment for the people of her community.”
“Finally, there was former Assembly Speaker Bob Hertzberg, an old friend of mine from the Gary Hart for President days, whose statement of decided uninterest in running for governor was spun up by an "enterprising" reporter into new opposition for Brown.”
“Maybe Someone should be 'enterprising' enough to set bush up with a 'facsimile of a Monica' ... in bush's inner chamber.”
“By his financial power and the political influence which that power was able to purchase, Coeur overcame the normal restrictions on "enterprising" individualistic profiteer.24 Coeur is an example of an individual who went "around" the system.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘enterprising’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
words to reference while writing something
because wordsmith is not a verb.
Vocabulary Quiz #3
Looking for tweets for enterprising.