from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a purpose; intentional: a purposeful musician.
- adj. Having or manifesting purpose; determined: entered the room with a purposeful look.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having purpose; intentional.
- adj. Having a purpose in mind; resolute; determined.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Important; material.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by purpose or definite aim; having an object in view; full of purpose or meaning; of serious import or significance: opposed to aimless.
- Hence Intended; made or introduced on purpose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having meaning through having an aim
- adj. serving as or indicating the existence of a purpose or goal
He says that Canadians should employ what he calls purposeful spending.
The only operational definition I know of for "purposeful" is "utilizing negative feedback to approach a set point"; I can help you see how that definition is operational if you'd like.
Could it be that Obama is engaging in "purposeful inaction?"
She dances, or rather engages in purposeful walking with one big dramatic drop into his arms, and a shirt tug.
But his most recent two near-future books have a very different tack: highlighting people using technology in purposeful, directed ways with very human expressive motives: making movies and playing political cat-and-mouse.
Research indicates that children who engage in purposeful play and structured activities acquire a range of skills and abilities that provide a strong foundation for later learning and development.
I think 'human thoughts and considerations can be and are purposeful' is one of those assumptions.
However the fact that many living systems can obviously still modify themselves in purposeful, intelligent response to internal and environmental challenges can be viewed by non materialists as evidence against materialism.
Behe's discussion that life, the moon and the universe in general "can be viewed" as purposeful is obviously Behe's philosophical outlook (one he is certainly entitled to have).
In many tales, the Jewish family is depicted as false, destructive, and destructible, in purposeful contrast to the true and loving but equally fragile Christian family.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.