American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Characterized by keen awareness, sharp intelligence, and often a sense of the practical.
- adj. Disposed to artful and cunning practices; tricky.
- adj. Sharp; penetrating: a shrewd wind.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Evil; accursed; malignant; wicked.
- Having a curst temper; scolding; vixenish; shrewish.
- Annoying; mischievous; vexatious; troublesome; malicious.
- Sharp: keen; biting; harsh.
- Sly; canning; artful; spiteful.
- Astute; sagacious; discriminating; discerning; smart; sharp: as, a shrewd man of the world.
- Indicating shrewdness; due to shrewdness; involving or displaying sagacity or astuteness: as, a shrewd remark; a shrewd face.
- Synonyms Artful, Sly, etc., (see cunning), wily, subtle.
- Acute, Keen, etc. (see acute), discerning, penetrating, politic, ingenious.
- adj. showing clever resourcefulness in practical matters
- adj. artful, tricky or cunning
- adj. streetwise
- adj. knowledgeable
- adj. archaic Scolding, satirical, sharp.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Inclining to shrew; disposing to curse or scold; hence, vicious; malicious; evil; wicked; mischievous; vexatious; rough; unfair; shrewish.
- adj. Artful; wily; cunning; arch.
- adj. Able or clever in practical affairs; sharp in business; astute; sharp-witted; sagacious; keen.
- adj. used of persons
- adj. marked by practical hardheaded intelligence
- From Middle English shrewe ("evil man"). See shrew (Wiktionary)
- Middle English shrewed, wicked, from shrew, rascal; see shrew. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Scrimgeour stopped too, leaned on his stick and stared at Harry, his expression shrewd now.”
“Trae said, "He is described as a shrewd man and an astute judge of character.”
“Inclined toward Communism to meet the social and political demands of his teeming peoples, he does not openly break with the West in shrewd calculation that only thence can flow the capital and technical know-how to ensure his country's economic survival and its development.”
“The home conversation was rich in shrewd remarks, bright with playfulness and humour and occasional flashes of wit.”
“His face was long and thin, his expression shrewd and good-natured, his limbs were long and ungainly.”
“As reports, brother Saif, 40, is known as a shrewd operator and canny businessman, while 39-year-old Saadi enjoyed a brief Italian soccer career.”
“The company is known as a shrewd operator, able to extract efficiencies and savings at every level of business.”
“She soon became known as a shrewd business person, not allowing herself to be shortchanged by those eager to buy some of her properties at prices below the current market value.”
“She was not what they call shrewd or sharp at all -- better she had been. ”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shrewd’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This lists the words associated with ASTUTE
All my favourite words that I come across!
mostly from magoosh
The path meanders through the vineyards
Looking for tweets for shrewd.