from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal An Easterner or city person who vacations on a ranch in the West.
- n. Informal A man who is very fancy or sharp in dress and demeanor.
- n. Slang A man; a fellow.
- n. Slang Persons of either sex.
- transitive v. Slang To dress elaborately or flamboyantly: got all duded up for the show.
- interj. Slang Used to express approval, satisfaction, or congratulations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man.
- n. A term of address for a man.
- n. An inexperienced cowboy.
- n. A tourist.
- n. A dandy, a man who is very concerned about his dress and appearance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of dandy; especially, one characterized by an ultrafashionable style of dress and other affectations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fop or exquisite, characterized by affected refinements of dress, speech, manners, and gait, and a serious mien; hence, by an easy extension, and with less of contempt, a man given to excessive refinement of fashion in dress.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- n. an informal form of address for a man
Back then, in the early 80s, the term "dude" was not yet a universal term for "pretty much any person in North America, male or female."
Saturday Night Live, in which the title dude fails every time to stop a bomb from going off using rubber bands, chewing gum, etc. Fine, funny.
I may very well be wrong, but I think this dude is the guy who started it too ... reynwrap582
And if you're old enough to be a member of AARP, the word "dude" should only be used if it's followed by the word "ranch".
This dude is a complete choad and I save that one for the truly special ….
This dude is a bad liar, how did he get elected???
This dude is an arrogant, narcissistic failure with no moral center, ethical core or wisdom!
For all I know this dude is an enforcer with the local chapter of Satan's Disciples and the Santa getup is merely a convenient way to confuse the Feds while he's making his weekly smack run.
It may not be totally obvious, but the OP hopes that the dude is attracted to her and pining for her until she leaves her husband.
I live in Illinois and for all of you who dont know barack obama .. ha ha i do .. the dude is a fraud and if elected you all will find out ...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.