from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To divest of covering; make bare.
- transitive v. Geology To expose (rock strata) by erosion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To divest of all covering; to make bare or naked; to strip; to divest; as, to denude one of clothing, or lands.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To divest of all covering; to make bare or naked; to strip; to divest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To strip or divest of all covering; make bare or naked.
- Specifically In geology, to wear away and remove surface or overlying matter, and thus make bare and expose to view (the underlying strata).
- Synonyms To bare, lay bare, uncover.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. lay bare
Latin dēnūdāre : dē-, de- + nūdāre, to make bare (from nūdus, nude; see nogw- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English, from Latin denudare, de- + nudus, bare (Wiktionary)