American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A young dog; a pup.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A doll; a puppet.
- n. A young dog; a whelp; also, by extension, a young seal or other young carnivore.
- n. A conceited, frivolous, and impertinent man; a silly young fop or coxcomb: used in contempt.
- n. A white bowl or buoy used in the herring-fisheries to mark the position of the net nearest the fishing-boat.
- To bring forth puppies; whelp. Also pup.
- n. A young dog.
- n. A young rat.
- n. A young seal.
- n. slang, usually in the plural A woman’s breast.
- n. informal A (generic) thing; particularly something that is a nuisance; a sucker.
- v. transitive To bring forth whelps; to pup.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) The young of a canine animal, esp. of the common dog; a whelp.
- n. A name of contemptuous reproach for a conceited and impertinent person.
- v. To bring forth whelps; to pup.
- n. an inexperienced young person
- n. a young dog
- Middle English popi, small pet dog, perhaps from Anglo-Norman poppe, doll, from Vulgar Latin *puppa, from Latin pūpa, girl, doll. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“How the 'Obama puppy' can help end animal homelessness yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'How the \'Obama puppy\' can help end animal homelessness '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Article: It won\'t happen overnight, but if we vow always to do two simple things-adopt animals from shelters or rescue groups rather than buy them from breeders or pet shops and get our animals spayed or neutered-then together, yes, we can end animal homelessness once and for all. ”
“The term "puppy mill" generally refers to a large commercial breeding operation where the animals do not receive proper care.”
“Lol, thanx Lobes, the puppy is a temporary measure, just seeing if I could get it to work.”
“And please do not let anyone talk you into doing a "condition retrieve" (force breaking) until after your puppy is a year old.”
“This puppy is the cutest thing I've ever seen (and should totally be a feature on Cute Overload).”
“Who's the ass-clown that wrote this show's pilot and said, "Oh yeah, this puppy is my retirement vehicle!”
“While the puppy is a loyal companion, the boy still seems depressed, so she gets him a tricycle, which he takes to with a zeal.”
“He had, like -- you know what we call puppy dog eyes?”
“Deputies and animal control officers conducted several raids on what they call puppy mills in Skagit and Snohomish counties.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘puppy’.
dog dogs and more dogs anything
I can think of ,canids and their
my favourite African wild dog
all have 42 teeth
Words made of the following: yuiopghjklbnm. I've stood on the shoulders of giants... users mollusque and reesetee made similar lists before I even existed on Wordnik. :)
Love and all that stuff.
Here is a list of Double Letter Words! Everyone is welcome to add some more words if needed!
A list of common animal names. Keep the list to 2 syllable words.No scientific names. No proper names like 'Fluffy' the elephant.Insects and other creatures (even ficticious like 'dragon') are we...
Trimming the "Chained Bear's Favorites" list so I don't crash people's computers... like my own...
Words I Like
Just what it sounds like. My favorites. Five letters.
Words you can type with one hand--if you learned how to type formally. Hunt-and-peck method doesn't count. ;-) I'm keeping it to five or more letters to avoid an excessively lengthy list.
I don't know whether this will reach you at the workshop in Gibraltar, but I just wanted to tell you what I'd like for Christmas.
Looking for tweets for puppy.