American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Possessing or demonstrating wit in speech or writing; very clever and humorous.
- adj. Characterized by or having the nature of wit; funny or jocular: a witty saying.
- adj. Quick to discern and express amusing insights or relationships.
- adj. Entertainingly and strikingly clever or original in concept, design, or performance: a witty sculpture; witty choreography.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Possessed of wisdom or learning; wise; discreet; knowing; artful.
- Exhibiting intelligence or ingenuity; clever; skilfully devised.
- Possessed of wit; smartly or cleverly facetious; ready with strikingly novel, clever, shrewd, and amusing sayings, or with sharp repartee; brilliant, sparkling, and original in expressing amusing notions or ideas; hence, sometimes, sarcastic; satirical: of persons.
- Characterized by or pregnant with wit: as, a witty remark or repartee.
- adj. obsolete Wise, having good judgement.
- adj. archaic Possessing a strong intellect or intellectual capacity; intelligent, skilful, ingenious.
- adj. Clever; amusingly ingenious.
- adj. Full of wit.
- adj. quick of mind; insightful; in possession of wits
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Possessed of wit; knowing; wise; skillful; judicious; clever; cunning.
- adj. Especially, possessing wit or humor; good at repartee; droll; facetious; sometimes, sarcastic.
- adj. combining clever conception and facetious expression
- Old English wittiġ ("clever, wise"), corresponding to wit + -y. (Wiktionary)
“And a certain witty, dapper silver fox is looking like he may be the ad man plummeting to his doom in the opening credits as Don Draper looks on with a certain relaxed detachment, arm draped, as it were, over the back of his sofa.”
“And a certain witty, dapper silver fox is looking like he may be the ad man plummeting to his doom in the opening credits as Don Draper watches on with a certain relaxed detachment, arm draped, as it were, over the back of his sofa.”
“I think being witty is sort of a dime a dozen, and there has to be something more.”
“You're so frickin witty, and your posts are always awesome -- chock full of so many mouth-watering pics.”
“If he is a spy, they will engage in witty, innuendo-filled conversation, retire to his cabana, and make love.”
“It's a man's life done in short witty insightful pieces.”
“We always mention thrift as an attribute of the Teutonic nations; the Irishman we characterize as witty and pugnacious; the Frenchman as polite; the American as progressive.”
“Smith still misses her friend, whom she described as witty, sometimes naive.”
“Players can type in short, witty comments about the drama unfolding on screen.”
“a prolific store of words and expressions which he exploits to the full in witty dialogue, in satire and grotesquery, in quiet poetry and essays of sparkling vitality.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘witty’.
This is an experiment in public lists--something I've been thinking about for some time. The goal is to create a collection of short, powerful, evocative words.
This is an open list. A...
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Words with definitions that have a "hence" in them.
Crimes committed by book reviewers. Terms here are culled shamelessly from a recent New York Times blog post, and the comments that it generated.
Seven Deadly Sins
The present, the future. Goals, wishes, hopes.
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
List of adjectival terms, from aggressive to zippered, paired in printed materials with the adverb coruscatingly, identified by a simple query to Google Search (Books).
for enhancement of any English test
Looking for tweets for witty.