from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by persevering, painstaking effort. See Synonyms at busy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Performing with intense concentration, focus, responsible regard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Prosecuted with careful attention and effort; careful; painstaking; not careless or negligent.
- adj. Interestedly and perseveringly attentive; steady and earnest in application to a subject or pursuit; assiduous; industrious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Constant in study or effort to accomplish what is undertaken; attentive and persistent in doing anything; industrious; assiduous.
- Steadily applied; prosecuted with care and constant effort; careful; painstaking: as, make diligent search.
- Synonyms Active, sedulous, laborious, persevering, indefatigable, unremitting, untiring, painstaking.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. quietly and steadily persevering especially in detail or exactness
- adj. characterized by care and perseverance in carrying out tasks
Thus, in the example -- "He writes _well_," the adverb shows the manner in which the writing is performed; in the examples -- "He is remarkably diligent" and "He works very faithfully," the adverbs modify the adjective _diligent_ and the other adverb _faithfully_ by expressing the degree of diligence and faithfulness.
We must remain diligent and protect our freedom to read.
But a goodly heritage has no worth save in diligent hands.
Are those who call themselves by his name diligent in the work to which he put his blessed hands?
He's known as a diligent captain who frequently conducted emergency drills including what to do in case of a pirate attack.
He's known as a diligent captain, who frequently conducted emergency drills, including what to do in case of a pirate attack.
Colin Powell walked into the United Nations after what his deputy described as diligent removal of overt lies from the information they were charged with giving the world.
Mr. Kato was known as a diligent worker at Kanto Auto Works Ltd., a Toyota group manufacturer with about 6,800 employees based just west of Tokyo.
I've worked my ass off to keep my credit rating as good as it is, but C hasn't been quite as . . . diligent, which is his business.
John Stow, whom he characterizes as a diligent collector of antiquities.]
A General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels — Volume 06 Arranged in Systematic Order: Forming a Complete History of the Origin and Progress of Navigation, Discovery, and Commerce, by Sea and Land, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.