from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by or requiring great pains; very careful and diligent. See Synonyms at meticulous.
- n. Extremely careful and diligent work or effort.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Carefully attentive to details; diligent in performing a process or procedure.
- n. The application of careful and attentive effort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Careful in doing; diligent; faithful; attentive.
- n. The act of taking pains; carefulness and fidelity in performance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The taking of pains; assiduous and careful labor.
- That takes pains or trouble; characterized by close, careful, assiduous, or conscientious application or labor; industrious; laborious and careful: as, a painstaking person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by extreme care and great effort
From pains (plural usage) + taking. (Wiktionary)