American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Characterized by or acting with rigor: a rigorous program to restore physical fitness.
- adj. Full of rigors; harsh: a rigorous climate.
- adj. Rigidly accurate; precise. See Synonyms at burdensome.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Acting with rigor; strict in performance or requirement.
- Marked by inflexibility or severity; stringent; exacting; hence, unmitigated; merciless.
- Exact; strict; precise; scrupulously accurate: as, a rigorous definition or demonstration.
- Hard; inclement; bitter; severe: as, a rigorous winter.
- Synonyms and Severe, Rigid, etc. (see austere), inflexible, unbending, unyielding.
- adj. Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigour; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless; as, a rigorous officer of justice; a rigorous execution of law; a rigorous definition or demonstration.
- adj. Severe; intense; inclement; as, a rigorous winter.
- adj. Violent.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigor; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless.
- adj. Severe; intense; inclement.
- adj. obsolete Violent.
- adj. (Mathematics, Logic) Adhering scrupulously and exactly to accepted principles; hence, logically valid.
- adj. demanding strict attention to rules and procedures
- adj. rigidly accurate; allowing no deviation from a standard
“CHENNAI: There is nothing rigorous about Mukunda Kumar€ ™ s prison stint though he was sentenced to €˜rigorous life imprisonment€ ™ four years ago.”
“The president, who finished what he described as his fourth and final round of chemotherapy in Cuba last month, said he will be undergoing what he described as "rigorous examinations.”
“Mr Chavez says he will be undergoing what he described as "rigorous examinations".”
“They say they are pleased with their progress in developing the power plant, including their work with the Michigan DEQ what they called a rigorous permitting process.”
“From there, they go to the academy, where they must graduate from what he described as a rigorous, "militaristic" 20-week training program.”
“The more we invest in rigorous education programs that educate students for the jobs of the 21st Century, the quicker our communities will recover and the stronger we will be as a nation.”
“This “wisdom” is so obvious that it has rarely been challenged in rigorous studies – that is, until now.”
“Same goes for students in rigorous academic programs (ie law or engineering).”
“You will always be top of your class in rigorous education, until you move back to the U.S., and the adjustment to another educational system will keep you above-average.”
“When one engages in rigorous political analysis, it is clear that Nigeria is not inexorably on the brink of collapse.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rigorous’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Words used in the book utopia by sir thomas more
verbs Adj Adv noun
Words I like to use, words I like but may forget.
Words as I learn them.
R. Peter Jackson's list
Looking for tweets for rigorous.