American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Secreting and transmitting venom: a venomous snake.
- adj. Full of or containing venom.
- adj. Malicious; spiteful: a venomous remark. See Synonyms at poisonous.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pull of venom; noxious or hurtful by means or reason of venom; venenose; poisonous: as, a venomous reptile or insect; a venomous bite.
- Hence, noxious; virulent; extremely hurtful or injurious; poisonous in any way.
- Very spiteful or hateful; virulent; malignant; intended or intending to do harm: as, venomous eyes or looks; a venomous attack; venomous enemies.
- adj. Full of venom.
- adj. Toxic; poisonous.
- adj. Noxious; evil.
- adj. Malignant; spiteful; hateful.
- adj. Producing venom (poison usually injected into an enemy or prey by biting or stinging) in glands or accumulating venom from food.
- adj. powerful
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Full of venom; noxious to animal life; poisonous.
- adj. (Zoöl.) Having a poison gland or glands for the secretion of venom, as certain serpents and insects.
- adj. Noxious; mischievous; malignant; spiteful.
- adj. marked by deep ill will; deliberately harmful
- adj. extremely poisonous or injurious; producing venom
“And a congressman in line for a key leadership position is defending himself against what he calls venomous attacks.”
“And she's learned how to identify a hot snake -- that is what we call a venomous snake -- she knows not to go in with the camels.”
“It is a transhistoric symbol which reccurs in venomous rants against Sidon, Byblos, Tyre, Babylon and so on right down to the present day characterisation of the US by Zacarias Moussaoui as the "United Sodom of America".”
“I lerned that the word venomous means if it bites you it can kill you and the word poisinous means if you bite it it can kill you.”
“Does God put this construction upon the language of mere nature, even in venomous creatures? and shall he not much more interpret favourably the language of grace in his own people, though it be weak and broken, groanings which cannot be uttered?”
“On what I would describe as the venomous dark side, two commenters posted heartless comments.”
“This was spoken in a manner that could only be called venomous.”
“In the end, the judge said there's no proof she did anything wrong, but in a departure from the norm, her name was published in two newspapers and she became the subject of what was described as venomous attacks on the Internet.”
“The race, therefore, would be performed in modified Vengeance scout-combat units called thysta, roughly translating to some kind of venomous fast-striking creature – cobra, viper, something of that nature.”
“Someone really ought to do a search of the terms "venomous" "rant" "anti-Semite" "self-hater" etc.etc. and see how many times they are used as a replacement for argument here.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘venomous’.
Our personal suggestions for those who feel the need for knuckle tattoos. For "4+4", see also frogapplause's Candy Hearts.
she's such a joy.
The qualities of The Diva. Social skills, playful yet bitchy.
...all my favorite words...
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for venomous.