from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Infectious.
- adj. Attractive; catchy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of catch.
- n. The action of the verb catch.
- adj. contagious
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Infectious; contagious.
- adj. Captivating; alluring.
- n. The act of seizing or taking hold of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Communicating, or liable to be communicated, by contagion; infectious.
- Captivating; charming; attracting: as, a catching melody; a catching manner.
- Acquisitive; greedy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. becoming infected
- adj. (of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection
- n. the act of detecting something; catching sight of something
- n. (baseball) playing the position of catcher on a baseball team
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Marisela stepped back, the use of her name catching her off guard.
“Kivar,” Simon said raggedly, the word catching in his throat.
Such is the life of a columnist with a value-investing bias; you always have the phrase "catching a falling knife" at the ready when writing.
"It doesn't sound so overwhelming or scary," said Christian Sinclair, associate medical director at Kansas City Hospice and editor of the Pallimed blog, who sees the term catching on.
"That's what we call catching a crab in our country," said the woman.
"That's what we calls catching a crab in our country," said the woman.
Judging by his record in "catching" Gary Ridgeway, it'll take him another two decades to discover the culprit of globabl warming.
But the denialists have been routinely wrong and there only success has been in catching a few minor errors in scientific reports.
Sure it's a frame cover, but it's the most intricate and eye catching from a distance or up close, so out of the three it would be the most likely I'd pick up if I wasn't familar with any of the writers beforehand.
I'd like to think that I had a small part in catching this guy.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.