from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Producing or breeding infectious disease.
- adj. Infected with or contaminated by an epidemic disease.
- adj. Morally evil or deadly; pernicious.
- adj. Bothersome; annoying.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. containing organisms that cause contagious diseases
- adj. annoying, vexatious
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pest-bearing; pestilential; noxious to health; malignant; infectious; contagious.
- adj. Noxious to peace, to morals, or to society; vicious; hurtful; destructive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Plague-bearing; pestilential; infectious; contagious: as, pestiferous particles.
- Noxious in any manner; mischievous; malignant; annoying.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. contaminated with infecting organisms
- adj. causing irritation or annoyance
- adj. tending to corrupt or pervert
- adj. likely to spread and cause an epidemic disease
Middle English, from Latin pestiferus, variant of pestifer : pestis, pestilence; see pest + -fer, -fer.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Mid 15th century, in sense “mischievous, pernicious”, from Latin pestiferus ("bearing plague"), from pestifer, from pestis ("plague") + ferre ("carry") (see infer). (Wiktionary)