from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling balsam.
- adj. Containing or yielding balsam.
- adj. Restorative; curative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Producing balsam.
- adj. Having the health-giving properties of balsam; soothing, restorative.
- adj. Having the pleasant odour of balsam; balmy, fragrant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the qualities of balsam; containing, or resembling, balsam; soft; mitigative; soothing; restorative.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of balsam: as, balsamic juices.
- Yielding balsam: as, balsamic pine.
- Having the fragrance of balsam; aromatic; balmy.
- Having the healing or soothing qualities of balsam; healing; soothing; mild: as, balsamic remedies.
- Of or pertaining to the balsam of the alchemists. See balsam, 5.
- n. Any warm, stimulating, demulcent medicine, of a smooth and oily consistence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or containing balsam
Cotechino with Lentils and Aceto Tradizionale di Modena: Boiled pork sausage scented with autumn spices on top of lentils, cooked with mirepoix and a drizzle of what we call balsamic vinegar.
Pour in balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, then close the lid and shake.
Another not-too-sweet dessert that he likes: strawberries marinated in balsamic vinegar, which he serves with creme fra î che or vanilla ice cream.
The taste of grilled radicchio with olive oil and balsamic is hard to beat.
Roasted beets in balsamic vinaigrette are actually pretty good.
Strawberies and balsamic is fantastic, I usually add a quick grind of black pepper as well.
Stir in balsamic vinegar and let cook a minute til liquid cooks off.
¼ cup white wine vinegar (pear infused white balsamic is good here) 1 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
The world's best vinegar comes from Modena, Italy, home of balsamic, which is to ordinary vinegar as Ferrari is to Ford.
Here, you can also buy a sweet balsamic, which is a wonderfully thick, sticky and sweet balsamic "sauce" that I love with cheese.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.