from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, resin.
- adj. negative (of electric charge)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to resin; of the nature of resin; resembling or obtained from resin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or obtained from resin; partaking of the properties of resin; like resin: as, resinous substances.
- Noting the peculiar luster of certain glassy rocks, as the pitchstones, which gives to fractured surfaces the appearance of resin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having the characteristics of pitch or tar
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Under the obstruction-which I took to be some kind of resinous lubricant-I detected the gleam of contacts.
Besides, I hoped that in this walk we should meet with some kind of resinous tree, the branches of which might serve as torches.
The young woman waiting for me that morning—older than those who usually came to our door seeking entry into Carmel—was instead staring up at the suffering Christ, apparently absorbing every detail of the deep, dark gashes and dripping blood vividly rendered with resinous, glossy paint.
On me: Thick dark resinous spice - with a hint of plastic that teases and disappears, hopefully for good.
Fragments of dead trees were gathered, made into a kiln covered with earth, and subjected to a slow fire which forced out the resinous matter.
Lamb chops + greek fir honey Mix this resinous honey with lemon juice and use as a marinade for lamb, suggests author and beekeeper Marina Marchese.
Where once the wild article was scrawny and grudging -- ditch weed -- these modern cultivated varieties are bushy and packed with plump, resinous buds.
His fricassee of snails contains the spicy Japanese condiment red yuzu kosho, local fiddlehead ferns and resinous Greek mastic infused with English peas.
Hips of downy rose, whose foliage yields a delicious resinous aroma when crushed between finger and thumb, had turned scarlet and were softening.
I could not resist crushing the leaves to get that compelling resinous balsamic fragrance.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.