American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Causing annoyance, weariness, or vexation; tedious: irksome restrictions. See Synonyms at boring.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Wearisome; tedious; burdensome; vexatious; causing annoyance or discomfort, especially by long continuance or frequent repetition.
- Weary; uneasy.
- Synonyms Wearisome, Tedious, etc. See wearisome.
- adj. Disagreeable or troublesome by reason of long continuance or repetition; bothersome; annoying; irritating; wearisome; tedious.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Wearisome; tedious; disagreeable or troublesome by reason of long continuance or repetition
- adj. obsolete Weary; vexed; uneasy.
- adj. so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness
- From Middle English irkesome, irksum, equivalent to irk + -some, or from Old English weorcsum ("painful, hurtful"). (Wiktionary)
“Avey and Wojcicki played up the recreational aspects of 23andMe testing—broccoli taste, fast twitch muscles, and earwax consistency—because they appealed to so many people, but they found the tag irksome.”
“When Kelsch sees "irksome" open-door retailers, she goes inside and tells owners and consumers about the wasted energy.”
“One tic of blogs, the MSM and commenters I find kind of irksome is the habit of thinking that "public statements" = "action" and "action" = "public statements.”
“The word "issue" -- the Darfur issue, the Iraq issue, the homelessness issue -- is kind of irksome, but it hints at a vital fact: As Americans of a certain economic status and social class, our "issues" are other people's lives.”
“Despite its enduring popularity, he has always refused to reminisce about The Likely Lads and says he finds the continuing public fascination with the series 'irksome'.”
“Antitrust suits as a means of enforcing the law, Roosevelt declared, were "irksome" and prolonged affairs.”
“Second, the 'irksome' five-star in the corner of the regional flag is soon to be a thing of the past.”
“In fact, theories are already rife regarding the relationship between Obama's choices and the support he received from the pro-Israeli lobby in Washington during the campaign, despite his 'irksome' middle name and his unsettling 'ties' to world-renowned Palestinian intellectuals Edward Said and Rashid Khalidi.”
“a kind of irksome ballast which holds down to earth a soul eager to rise aloft.”
“~ Brian Palmer: We Can Help Burma -- "The word "issue" - the Darfur issue, the Iraq issue, the homelessness issue - is kind of irksome, but it hints at a vital fact: As Americans of a certain economic status and social class, our "issues" are other people's lives.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘irksome’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2455 more...
My big word list.
ahh these hurt.....
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for irksome.