American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Irritated, distressed, or annoyed: greatly vexed by their behavior; the vexed parents of an unruly teenager.
- adj. Much discussed or debated: a vexed question.
- adj. annoyed, irritated or distressed
- adj. much debated, discussed or disputed
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of vex.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Annoyed; harassed; troubled.
- adj. Much debated or contested; causing discussion.
- adj. troubled persistently especially with petty annoyances
- adj. causing difficulty in finding an answer or solution; much disputed
“Here, too, Gates offers a trenchant observation about what he called the vexed distinction between ‘status’ and ‘behavior.’”
“Perplexed and vexed is me when people invest obscure meaning into a book when I can't see it myself and I could be in great danger of doing just that with Mr Thundermug so please forgive anything that leans towards pretentious claptrap in this post but this book was two for the price of one for me.”
“Efforts to make drinkable wine in America were vexed from the start.”
“When he was very near I heard him crying, in vexed fashion, "Why in hell don't you sing out?”
“The easy security of tone with which Jeff pronounced the name vexed”
“When he was very near I heard him crying, in vexed fashion, “Why in hell don’t you sing out?””
“Soil and seasons of potting may be described as vexed questions in camellia culture.”
“It is called the vexed question, and excites alarm in every quarter of the country.”
“It is called the vexed question, and excites alarm in every quarter of the country ....”
“My master was greatly vexed, that is, I may say, as much as ever I _seen_ him, when he found how he had been taken in; but it was some comfort to have the ready cash for immediate consumption in the house, any way.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vexed’.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
feelings...blah, blah, blah, feelings...
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
My big word list.
she's such a joy.
Words that remind me of England, which I miss very much.
words that are mostly fun to say or just lovely
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
If you're gonna feel this way, you might as well enjoy it.
Looking for tweets for vexed.