Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Adorned with frets or fretwork; exhibiting sunk or raised ornamentation in rectangular forms; having many intersecting groins or ribs.
- In heraldry, interlaced one with another: said of any charges which can be so combined: as, a chevron fretted with a bar.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of fret.
- adj. music (of a musical instrument) Having frets.
- adj. decorated with fretwork
GNU Webster's 1913
- Rubbed or worn away; chafed.
- Agitated; vexed; worried.
- Ornamented with fretwork; furnished with frets; variegated; made rough on the surface.
- (Her.) Interlaced one with another; -- said of charges and ordinaries.
- adj. having a pattern of fretwork or latticework
- adj. having frets
“At first, whenever this happened, his wife fretted extremely -- _fretted_ is the right word, for it was more a fitful chafing than a positive grief.”
“It isn't my home," he replied, as if the word fretted him.”
“I "fretted" -- as the servants expressed it -- to such an extent as to affect my health; and I fancy it was because my father's attention was called to the fact that I was fast fading after the mother and sister whose death (and my own loneliness) I bewailed, that he roused himself from his own grief to comfort mine.”
“Typically you only play the "fretted" strings, not all six strings, when playing a power chord.”
“You would have 'fretted' me terribly if you had not, for I liked it myself, knowing it to be an earnest opinion and expressive of the man.”
“Rising out of the gulf below was what we took at first to be a rounded hill of black rock, oblong in shape, from which projected a gigantic shaft of stone ending in a kind of fretted bush that alone was of the size of a cottage.”
“Meanwhile Captain Jamie fretted his head off and prepared for the night, while Winwood passed the word along to the forty lifers to be ready for the break.”
“I had observed that Pasquini fretted at my delay of speech-making, and I resolved to fret him further.”
“Mr. Ulysses knew too much to start on without animals, and fretted around for several days.”
“The arches of the encircling arcade were of fretted white marble that had taken on just enough tender green to prevent any glare of reflected light.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fretted’.
Care about your social environment? Save these endangered words from extinction... don't delay, adopt an out~of~date adjective today!
Words and phrases used in blazoning heraldic devices, along with names and other terms associated with the art and science.
Other similar lists can be found on Wordnik, especially that...
Delightful words to read and use
Looking for tweets for fretted.