American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to contagion.
- adj. Transmissible by direct or indirect contact; communicable: a contagious disease.
- adj. Capable of transmitting disease; carrying a disease: stayed at home until he was no longer contagious.
- adj. Spreading or tending to spread from one to another; infectious: a contagious smile.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Communicable by contagion; that may be imparted by contact or by emanations; catching: as, a contagious disease.
- Containing or generating contagion; poisonous; pestilential: as, contagious air; contagious clothing.
- Propagated by influence or incitement; exciting like feeling or action; spreading or liable to spread from one to another: as, contagious example; a contagious speculation.
- Arising from or due to contagion, in either sense; brought about by propagation or incitement: as, a contagious epidemic.
- adj. Of a disease, easily transmitted to others.
- adj. Of a fashion, laughter, etc., easily passed on to others.
- adj. Of a person, having a disease that can be transmitted to another person by touch.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Med.) Communicable by contact, by a virus, or by a bodily exhalation; catching.
- adj. Conveying or generating disease; pestilential; poisonous.
- adj. Spreading or communicable from one to another; exciting similar emotions or conduct in others.
- adj. (of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection
- adj. easily diffused or spread as from one person to another
“I used the word contagious rather than dangerous on purpose.”
“Among the infectious diseases are some that are quite directly and quickly conveyed from person to person and to these the term contagious is applied.”
“To quell demonstrations after the Sean Bell killing, he asked the Rand Corporation to investigate what he termed "contagious shooting.”
“Our daughter has just learned the word contagious and uses it every chance she gets.”
“And this: The danger facing the crew is a "linguistic virus" that spreads by forcing its victims to utter a certain contagious phrase that kills the listener in a gruesome way.”
“He also mentions that "some use with good effect the drinking of one's own urine ... for protection in contagious times.”
“Panic is usually defined as contagious, groundless, unreasoning fear.”
“In it, Gladwell chronicles events, episodes and trends that he describes as contagious or viral or in the most extreme language, epidemics.”
“That the plague was not what is commonly called contagious, like the scarlet fever, or extinct small-pox, was proved.”
“It is sometimes called contagious, infectious, and epizoötic pleuro-pneumonia, -- contagious or infectious, from its supposed property of transmission from the diseased to the healthy animal.”
Cattle and Their Diseases Embracing Their History and Breeds, Crossing and Breeding, And Feeding and Management; With the Diseases to which They are Subject, And The Remedies Best Adapted to their Cure
These user-created lists contain the word ‘contagious’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Inspired by PossibleUnderscore's list of words overused in modern pop music.
Terms from the Standard Cipher Code of the American Railway Association, 1906. The terms were shorthand for common phrases used in telegraphic communications between station agents and Railway Asso...
What Abt these ... :)
afternoon delight, almost unreal, full of spark, dazzle n daze, alarming stride, rushing tide, double dagger, in the nude, constant pressure, widow maker, bourbon on the rocks, air fare holme and 311 more...
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Vocabulary for Chapter One of the Best Christmas Pageant Ever.
My Friends (that's my bets John McCain impression!)
This is a list of words that I think describe me. Would you be so kind as to vote for the 10 you think are most fitting? Your vote w...
Looking for tweets for contagious.