from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Carried or moved with ease: a portable typewriter; a portable generator.
- adj. Capable of being transferred from one employer to another. Used of an employee benefit.
- adj. Computer Science Relating to or being software that can run on two or more kinds of computers or with two or more kinds of operating systems.
- adj. Obsolete Bearable; endurable.
- n. Something, such as a light or small typewriter, that can be carried or moved with ease.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Able to be carried or easily moved.
- adj. Of software, able to be run on multiple hardware or operating systems.
- n. A portable toilet; a self-contained outhouse.
- n. Any temporary building that is portable, especially one located at a school.
- n. A hand-held video gaming device.
- n. a portable computer
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Capable of being borne or carried; easily transported; conveyed without difficulty.
- adj. Possible to be endured; supportable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of being carried in the hand or about the person; capable of being carried or transported from place to place; easily carried or conveyed.
- Supportable; tolerable.
- Capable of carrying or transporting.
- Accessible (?).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of a motor designed to be attached to the outside of a boat's hull
- n. a small light typewriter; usually with a case in which it can be carried
- adj. easily or conveniently transported
Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin portābilis, from Latin portāre, to carry; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French portable. (Wiktionary)