American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A writing machine that produces characters similar to typeset print by means of a manually operated keyboard that actuates a set of raised types, which strike the paper through an inked ribbon.
- n. Printing A typestyle like that of typewritten copy.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A machine for mechanical writing, operated by hand, and printing one letter, or combination of letters, at a time, by the impress of type adapted to the purpose. There are now several distinct types of these machines.
- n. An operator on a typewriting machine; one who prints characters on paper by means of a type-writer.
- n. A device, at least partially mechanical, used to print text by pressing keys that cause type to be impressed through an inked ribbon onto paper.
- n. archaic One who uses a typewriter; a typist.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An instrument for writing by means of type, a typewheel, or the like, in which the operator makes use of a sort of keyboard, in order to obtain printed impressions of the characters upon paper.
- n. One who uses such an instrument.
- n. hand-operated character printer for printing written messages one character at a time
- to typewrite + -er (Wiktionary)
“If the symbols are letters and the typewriter is a key prop to communicate between dimensions then …”
“The simplicity of the typewriter is alluring to writers who may be overwhelmed (or underwhelmed) by increasingly elaborate technology.”
“For those unaware of these strange antiquated devices, a typewriter is a portable input-output device (sort of a combined keyboard-printer, with the user's brain acting as CPU).”
“If not then the good old fashioned pen to paper or typewriter is as great an option.”
“A typewriter is also appealing in its transparency -- whack a key, and watch the typebar smack a letter onto a piece of paper.”
“My sister got a Barbie convertible that year, and I got a baby blue Brother children's typewriter and a stack of thin typewriter paper.”
“I like Cub Reporter, but the typewriter is HUUUUUGE.”
“Classic litigator tactics, reflecting a "my typewriter is sterner than yours" age-old tactic.”
“The story of how Gibson wrote Neuromancer on a manual typewriter is legend, and it says a lot about the differences between the cyberpunk ethos and the extropian ethos.”
“After all, the acquisition cost of a typewriter is less than that of a computer but not many of you would now want to be tapping away on an Underwood.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘typewriter’.
There was a time when these things were your only option...
accoustic guitar, snail mail, day baseball, land-line phone, organic food, free-to-air telev..., black-and-white p..., analog watch, live music, manual transmission, cassette walkman, coca cola classic and 23 more...
This is a list of my favourite words (phrases) in english, as a second language. I love them mostly because of how they sound and their meaning.
If I've seen it, heard it, or marvelled at it, I'll stick it here.
Long English words that can be typed on a keyboard under various restictions. The longest are:
QWERTY left hand only: aftercataracts, sweaterdresses, tesseradecades, and tetrastearates...
Looking for tweets for typewriter.