from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that calculates, as:
- n. An electronic or mechanical device for the performance of mathematical computations.
- n. A person who operates such a machine or otherwise makes calculations.
- n. A set of mathematical tables used to aid in calculating.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mechanical or electronic device that performs mathematical calculations.
- n. A person who performs mathematical calculation
- n. A person who calculates (in the sense of scheming).
- n. A set of mathematical tables.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who computes or reckons: one who estimates or considers the force and effect of causes, with a view to form a correct estimate of the effects.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who calculates, computes, or reckons.
- n. One who estimates or considers the force and effect of causes with a view to form a correct estimate of the effects.
- n. A calculating-machine.
- n. A form of orrery invented by Ferguson.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines)
- n. a small machine that is used for mathematical calculations
calculate + -or (Wiktionary)