from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that tabulates.
- n. A machine that reads, sorts, and prints out information from punched cards.
- n. A mechanism on a typewriter for setting automatic stops or margins for columns.
- n. Computer Science A device for reading data from punched cards and producing printed lists or totals of the result.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who counts or tabulates things.
- n. The mechanism on a typewriter that sets the position of columns and borders.
- n. An early data processing machine that produces printed lists and totals from data on punched cards.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An attachment to a typewriter for so controlling the feed-motion of the carriage that it will stop automatically at certain prearranged positions or points in its traverse, the object being to enable the operator to arrange the print in vertical lines, as in drawing up a tabulated statement of accounts.
- n. One who tabulates; a maker of statistical or similar tables.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a calculator that keeps a record of the number of times something happens
Sorry, no etymologies found.