from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is in charge of official records.
- n. An officer in a college or university who keeps the records of enrollment and academic standing.
- n. An officer of a corporation responsible for maintaining records of ownership of its securities.
- n. An admitting officer in a hospital.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An official keeper, or recorder of records.
- n. An officer in a university who keeps enrollment and academic achievement records.
- n. An officer in a hospital who records admissions.
- n. a service that manages domain names.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who registers; a recorder; a keeper of records. See register, n., 3.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose business it is to write or keep a register or record; a keeper of records.
- n. An official who acts as secretary to the congregation of a university.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the administrator responsible for student records
- n. someone responsible for keeping records
- n. a person employed to keep a record of the owners of stocks and bonds issued by the company
Probably from registrary, from Medieval Latin registrārius, from registrum, register; see register.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Medieval Latin registrarius, from registrum ("register") + -arius ("agent"). See more at register. (Wiktionary)