from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is in charge of the operations of a local post office.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the head of a post office
- n. the administrator of an electronic mail system
- n. A kind of scholar at Merton College, Oxford; portionist.
- n. One who has charge of a station for the accommodation of travellers; one who supplies post horses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who has charge of a station for the accommodation of travelers; one who supplies post horses.
- n. One who has charge of a post office, and the distribution and forwarding of mails.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The official who has charge of a post-station and provides post-horses, etc.
- n. The official who has the superintendence and general direction of a post-office, of the receipt and despatch of mails, etc.
- n. In Merton College, Oxford, a scholar who is supported on the foundation. Also called portionist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the person in charge of a post office
post + master (Wiktionary)