from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who keeps watch over and directs the work of others, especially laborers.
- n. A supervisor or superintendent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who oversees or supervises. A supervisor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who oversees; a superintendent; a supervisor; ; specifically, one or certain public officers
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who overlooks; a superintendent; a supervisor; one who has the care or superintendence of any matter.
- n. Specifically, one who oversees or superintends workmen, especially slaves; one who has charge, under the owner or manager, of the work on a plantation, or, in Australia, on a station.
- n. A reviser; a critic.
- n. An executor or an adviser to an executor, formerly sometimes named in wills.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who directs and manages an organization
Sorry, no etymologies found.