from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person of high rank, especially in India.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A high-ranking person in India and other areas of west-central Asia; a chief, a headman.
- n. The leader of a group of Sherpa mountain guides.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A native chief in Hindostan; a headman.
- n. In Turkey, Egypt, etc., a commander in chief, esp. the one commanding the Anglo-Egyptian army.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In India: A chief or military officer; a person in command or authority.
- n. Same as sirdar-bearer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an important person in India
Hindi sardār, from Persian : sar, head; see ker-1 in Indo-European roots + -dār, holder; see dher- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hindistani سردار, from Persian سردار, compound of سر (sar, "head") + دار (dar, "holder"). (Wiktionary)