from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who serves as the leader of a work crew, as in a factory.
- n. A man who chairs and speaks for a jury.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The leader of a work crew.
- n. The member of a jury who presides over it and speaks on its behalf.
- n. A black (slave) assistant to the white overseer who managed field hands.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chief man of a jury, who acts as their speaker.
- n. The chief of a set of hands employed in a shop, or on works of any kind, who superintends the rest; an overseer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The first or chief man, or leader; one who is appointed to preside over a number of others.
- n. Specifically— The chief man of a jury, who acts as the spokesman.
- n. The chief or superintendent of a set of operatives or work-people employed in a shop or on work of any kind; an overseer of work: as, the foreman of a composing-room in a printing-office.
- n. An ancestor.
- To direct or oversee as a foreman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who exercises control over workers
- n. a man who is foreperson of a jury
Sorry, no etymologies found.