American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An employee of a department store who supervises sales personnel and assists customers. Also called floor manager.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person employed in a large retail shop to walk about the place, give information to customers, watch their conduct and that of employees, etc. Also called shop-walker.
- n. An employee in a large shop (especially a department store) who acts as supervisor to sales staff, and assists customers.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. U.S. One who walks about in a large retail store as an overseer and director.
- n. an employee of a retail store who supervises sales personnel and helps with customer problems
“At stops in Vicksburg, Greenville or Stovepipe Bend, Sam serves as a different kind of floorwalker, trying to keep order among the raucous, 500-plus crowds smelling of sweat and Sen-Sen and armed with knives or moonshine or both.”
“When I entered I approached the "floorwalker," and handing him my sample, said:”
“The floorwalker is our point of social contact with patrons. ”
“It was the implacable standards of a department store floorwalker who insisted on being addressed as "Captain".”
“Garner unwittingly has inherited this trait, proudly showing her handful of pennies to a suspicious floorwalker at a 5 & 10 cent store, proving that she has a right to be there because she is a customer.”
“After his return from Europe, Sam gets hired as a floorwalker in a New Orleans department store, a job he loves as much for its "light duty" overseeing the staff and helping customers as for its uniform of "snappy" suits.”
“His supervisor is a self-important floorwalker with a pince-nez and a morning suit.”
“Five minutes later, I got back in line to buy the game, and was pulled out almost immediately buy a floorwalker wielding a handheld.”
“The store dick looked at the floorwalker and nodded.”
“The floorwalker spotted the source of the trouble and began to hurry toward them, pausing at a cash register location to push a button labeled Special.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘floorwalker’.
Economists like to cite "buggy whip maker" as an example of a profession whose career prospects were dimmed, and ultimately quenched, by the inexorable march of technological progress. This is a li...
Looking for tweets for floorwalker.