from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- One of the three Magi.
- Melchior, Lauritz Lebrecht Hommel 1890-1973. Danish-born American operatic tenor noted for his Wagnerian roles, especially with the Metropolitan Opera in New York City (1926-1950).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very large wine bottle (named after the King) with the capacity of about 18 liters, equivalent to 24 standard bottles.
- proper n. One of the Magi according to medieval Christian legend.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States operatic tenor (born in Denmark) noted for his Wagnerian roles (1890-1973)
- n. (New Testament) one of the three sages from the east who came bearing gifts for the infant Jesus; usually represented as a king of Nubia
Strassburg a much-travelled man, a skinner by trade, by name Melchior
His Melchior is a familiar but endearing teen archetype: the self-confident alpha dog whose exterior conceals a mass of insecurities.
As he now lay trembling there, he recalled Melchior's words about the valley being bewitched, the falling stones, the disappearance of the crystals; and he was fast growing into a belief that the old legends must be true, and that there really existed a race of horrible little beings beneath the earth, whose duty it was to protect the treasures of the subterranean lands, and that this was one of them on the watch to take the crystals from their hands.
"'Melchior's Dream' is an exquisite little Story, charming by original humour, buoyant spirits, and tender pathos."
"Melchior," replied I, starting up, "let us have no more of this duplicity.
"Melchior," replied I, starting up; "let us have no more of this duplicity.
This is Morris, one of five cats who are the actual owners of the Melchior family farm down in Perry County.
Mortimer and Milton have sisters; Marcellus and Melchior both have brothers.
When Christopher Wood's Melchior and Elizabeth Judd's Wendla figure out a lot can go on in a dark hayloft, we actually see the sex act implied, but some partial nudity and then the awkward moments thereafter.
Melchior Wathelet , the country's new state secretary for energy, said in an interview that a study currently being prepared, for presentation by July, will assess whether there is "an alternative that would guarantee the security of supply at an acceptable price and respecting the environment."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.