American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A woman who serves as the leader of a work crew, as in a factory.
- n. A woman who chairs and speaks for a jury.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. forewomen (-wim″en). The head woman in a workshop or of a department in a shop, etc. Compare foreman.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A woman who is chief; a woman who has charge of the work or workers in a shop or other place; a head woman.
- n. a woman who is foreperson of a jury
- n. a woman in charge of a group of workers
- fore- + woman (Wiktionary)
“Their forewoman was the daughter of a rich farmer at Donnemarie, burdened with nine children, to whom he had endeavored to give a good start in life, being aware that at his death his property, divided into nine parts, would be but little for any one of them.”
“The equivalent of a sergeant is a "forewoman," and there are quartermistresses in charge of stores.”
“The girls spin on; a kind of forewoman, Mary, upbraids Senta with idling and staring at the picture and dreaming away her life -- for the girl is quite open about her sympathy with the accursed seafaring man.”
“Kaidi is a ma'aziba, which translates as "forewoman" in the regional dialect.”
“March! "again called the forewoman, with the coolness a veteran fireman might have envied.”
“The girls spin on; a kind of forewoman, Mary, upbraids Senta with idling and staring at the picture and dreaming away her life ” for the girl is quite open about her sympathy with the accursed seafaring man.”
“Madison has hard water, and treatment plant forewoman Connie Silva said she has been looking forward to getting Lewis & Clark water.”
“The women at the boards near to her scrambled, first, to the hot iron to save the cloth, and then to her, while the forewoman hurried belligerently down the aisle.”
“No bullying nor entreating of the forewoman could persuade the women to return to work.”
“The tireless, vigilant forewoman kept a sharp lookout for incipient hysteria, and once led a narrow-chested, stoop-shouldered young thing out of the place in time to prevent a collapse.”
‘forewoman’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for forewoman.