from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A poem in which the author retracts something said in a previous poem.
- n. A formal statement of retraction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A poem in which the author retracts something said in an earlier poem.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An ode recanting, or retracting, a former one; also, a repetition of an ode.
- n. A retraction; esp., a formal retraction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To re-tract or take back (something previously said or written).
- To recant.
- n. A poetical recantation, or declaration contrary to a former one; a poem in which a poet retracts the invectives contained in a former satire; hence, a recantation in general.
- n. Specifically, in Scots law, a solemn recantation demanded in addition to damages in actions for defamation.
I think that this kind of palinode almost invariably ends up making the author look terrific.
He made a kind of palinode to the "trading justice" later, as other people of his kind have done.
Compare the following stanzas, from a kind of palinode, "1870-1871," years of the Franco-German war and the Parisian Commune: --
As no writer has contributed so much as Mr. Walpole to depreciate the character of the Duke of Newcastle, this kind of palinode is not unimportant.
"Delia told me all that passed in her presence, and showed me Baker's palinode, which is rather the most extraordinary document that I ever saw.
Kaspar Campèll, who in the first half of the sixteenth century preached the Reformed religion in the Engadine.] [Footnote 4: I have translated and printed at the end of the second volume some sonnets of Petrarch as a kind of palinode for this impertinence.] [Footnote 5: This begs the question whether [Greek: leukoion] does not properly mean snowflake, or some such flower.
We never get time alone, either and it ` s very, very depressing. palinode Said,
LOL @ palinode! the mombshell´s last blog. .reality check
Beautifully, beautifully put. palinode on August 04, 2009
And elfini- schmutzie and her man palinode have amazing taste in music.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.