from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A poem or stanza of eight lines with a rhyme scheme abaaabab, in which the fourth and seventh lines are the same as the first, and the eighth line is the same as the second.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an eight-line poem, whose rhyme scheme is ABaAabAB and whose lines are in iambic tetrameter
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A short poem or stanza of eight lines, in which the first line is repeated as the fourth and again as the seventh line, the second being, repeated as the eighth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A poem in fixed form, borrowed from the French, and allied to the rondel and rondeau.
- n. In music, same as triplet.
French, diminutive of trio, trio; see trio.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)