from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A poem or song of mourning or lamentation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A song or poem of lamentation or mourning for a dead person; a dirge; an elegy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A song of lamentation; a threnode.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A song of lamentation; a dirge; especially, a poem composed for the occasion of the funeral of some personage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person
Greek thrēnōidiā : thrēnos, lament + aoidē, ōidē, song; see ode.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek θρηνῳδία (thrēnōidia, "lamentation"), from θρῆνος (thrēnos, "lament, wail, dirge") + ᾠδή (ōidē, "song"). (Wiktionary)