from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Shaped like a top.
- adj. Spinning like a top.
- adj. Zoology Spiral and decreasing sharply in diameter from base to apex. Used especially of shells.
- adj. Anatomy Of, relating to, or designating a small curved bone that extends horizontally along the lateral wall of the nasal passage in higher vertebrates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Shaped or spinning like a top.
- adj. In the shape of a coil.
- adj. Spiral and decreasing sharply in diameter from base to apex. Used especially of shells.
- adj. Of, or relating to, the turbinate bone.
- n. A turbinal or turbinate bone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To revolve or spin like a top; to whirl.
- adj. Whirling in the manner of a top.
- adj. Shaped like a top, or inverted cone; narrow at the base, and broad at the apex.
- adj. Turbinal.
- adj. Spiral with the whorls decreasing rapidly from a large base to a pointed apex; -- said of certain shells.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A turbinate body.
- Shaped like a whipping-top.
- In anatomy, whorled or scroll-like in shape; turbinal; spongy in texture, or full of cavities: applied to certain bones and parts of bones in the nasal fossæ.
- Whirling in the manner of a top.
- To fashion like a top.
- To revolve like a top; spin; whirl.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of the scrolled spongy bones of the nasal passages in man and other vertebrates
- adj. in the shape of a coil
- adj. of or relating to the scroll-shaped turbinate bones in the nasal passages
Latin turbinātus, from turbō, turbin-, spinning top; see turbine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin turbinatus. (Wiktionary)