from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who keeps a retail store or shop; a shopkeeper.
- n. One who is in charge of receiving or distributing stores or supplies, such as military or naval supplies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who runs a shop, either the owner or manager.
- n. One who is in charge of stores or goods of any kind.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man in charge of stores or goods of any kind.
- n. One who keeps a “store;” a shopkeeper. See 1st Store, 3.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who has the care or charge of a store or stores.
- n. Figuratively. an article in a stock of goods that remains so long on hand as to be unsalable.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a merchant who owns or manages a shop
store + keeper (Wiktionary)