American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An officer responsible for the food, clothing, and equipment of troops.
- n. A petty officer responsible for the steering of a ship.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Milit, a regimental staff-officer, of the relative rank of lieutenant, whose duties are to superintend the assignment of quarters and the distribution of clothing, fuel, and other supplies, to have charge of the barracks, tents, etc., of a regiment, and to keep the regimental stores on the march: he directs the marking out of camp. In the United States army the quartermaster is appointed by the colonel of the regiment, subject to the approval of the Secretary of War. In the British service the quartermaster is generally taken from the ranks, and after thirty years' service, including ten as an officer, he may retire with the honorary rank of captain.
Farrow, Mil. Encyc.
- n. Nautical, a petty officer who has charge of the steering of the ship, the signals and soundings, and the running lights, leads, colors, log, compasses, etc., as an assistant to the navigator. Quartermasters keep regular watch during the whole time a ship is in commission, and are selected from the steadiest and most trustworthy seamen. On mail steamers the quartermasters steer and keep the fiags and running-lights in order.
- n. military An officer whose duty is to provide quarters, provisions, storage, clothing, fuel, stationery, and transportation for a regiment or other body of troops, and superintend the supplies.
- n. nautical A petty officer who attends to the helm, binnacle, signals, and the like, under the direction of the master.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mil.) An officer whose duty is to provide quarters, provisions, storage, clothing, fuel, stationery, and transportation for a regiment or other body of troops, and superintend the supplies.
- n. (Naut.) A petty officer who attends to the helm, binnacle, signals, and the like, under the direction of the master.
- n. an army officer who provides clothing and subsistence for troops
“McKevitt was the Provisional IRA's so-called 'quartermaster' until the late 1990s during which he was in charge of its guns, explosives and ammunition dumps.”
“Billy Stobie, the UDA so-called quartermaster who provided the weapons used to shoot the lawyer was later revealed as an RUC Special Branch agent.”
“Helm doesn't answer, sir," called the quartermaster at the wheel.”
“For the punishment of small offences which are not provided for by the articles, and which are not of consequence enough to be left to a jury, there is a principal officer among the pirates, called the quartermaster, of the men's own choosing, who claims all authority this way, excepting in time of battle.”
“In some way he feels that the disappearance of the quartermaster is a connecting link in the chain of circumstance.”
“The clerk looked up from his desk and said he was sorry, but the quartermaster was the only man who knew the combination, and he had gone over to Camp Merritt.”
“It was quite evident the quartermaster was the fittest man for the mission.”
“The quartermaster was a very intelligent fellow, and he took in the situation at a glance.”
“Benjamin, who didn 't give his last name, showed us around the town and told us he had acted as a kind of quartermaster during the filming.”
“She thanked him and he went away; he was a kind of quartermaster, she supposed, seeing to food and drink and household supplies for all of them; she couldn't imagine either of the professors bothering their clever heads about such things.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘quartermaster’.
Words used quite often in steampunk
Nice ambient words from the movie. (With apologies to Patrick O'Brian.) Aaaah, life at sea...aboard a hulk of the British navy in 1805...
No one ever says, "I want to be a somnambulist when I grow up." But don't let that get in the way of organizing your Wordie lists.
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's book, The Golem's Eye.
Words and phrase from Scott Lynch's book, Red Seas Under Red Skies.
Looking for tweets for quartermaster.