from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The commanding officer of a military organization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A commanding officer, usually of a specific force or division.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A commander; the commanding officer of a place, or of a body of men.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A commander; especially, a commanding officer of a fortified town or garrison.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer in command of a military unit
French, from present participle of commander, to command, from Old French comander; see command.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French commandant or Italian and Spanish comandante. (Wiktionary)