from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An inferior or second lieutenant.
- n. A commissioned officer of the lowest rank.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inferior or second lieutenant; in the British service, a commissioned officer of the lowest rank.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the British navy, a grade immediately below that of lieutenant. Formerly called mate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer ranking next below a lieutenant
sub- + lieutenant (Wiktionary)