from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The commander in chief of all the armed forces in certain countries.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A supreme commander of the armed forces of a country, especially one who is also a political leader.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chief commander of an army; especially, the commander in chief of an army consisting of two or more grand divisions under separate commanders; -- a title used in most foreign countries.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A commander-in-chief; the supreme commander of all the forces of a country, of several armies, or of an army comprising several corps or divisions acting separately.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the officer who holds the supreme command
Italian, superlative of generale, a general, from Latin generālis, general; see general.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)