from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large copper or brass hemispherical drum with a parchment head that can be tuned by adjusting the tension.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large hemispherical brass percussion instrument (one of the timpani) with a drumhead that can be tuned by adjusting its tension.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A drum made of thin copper in the form of a hemispherical kettle, with parchment stretched over the mouth of it.
- n. An informal social party at which a light collation is offered, held in the afternoon or early evening. Cf. Drum, n., 4 and 5.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A musical instrument used in military bands and in orchestras, consisting of a hollow brass hemisphere from 24 to 30 inches in diameter, over which is stretched a head of parchment.
- n. A fashionable afternoon entertainment given by a woman chiefly to women. It is less formal than an evening party, and the ladyguests generally wear bonnets. Also drum.
- To drum (on the kettledrum); sound like a kettledrum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large hemispherical brass or copper percussion instrument with a drumhead that can be tuned by adjusting the tension on it
kettle + drum (Wiktionary)