from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ancient percussion instrument similar to a tambourine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ancient percussion instrument rather like a simple tambourine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of drum, tabor, or tabret, in use from the highest antiquity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as tambourine. See also tabor.
- To sing to the sound of the timbrel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small hand drum similar to a tambourine; formerly carried by itinerant jugglers
Diminutive of Middle English timbre, drum, from Old French; see timbre.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)