American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Music The material stretched over one end or either of both ends of a drum.
- n. Nautical The circular top part of a capstan, used to hold bars for turning.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The membrane stretched upon a drum, by striking which the tone is produced. Its tension and the pitch of the tone are determined by rings or hoops fitted round the edge of the drum-body.
- n. The top part of a capstan, which is pierced with a number of holes to receive the ends of the levers or bars employed to turn it round. See capstan.
- n. In anatomy, the membrana tympani.
- n. A variety of cabbage having a large rounded or flattened head.
- n. alternative spelling of drum head.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The parchment or skin stretched over one end of a drum.
- n. The top of a capstan which is pierced with sockets for levers used in turning it. See
- adj. performed speedily and without formality
- n. a membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
- drum + -head (Wiktionary)
“Preposterous as this contention seemed to Washington, he did not call a drumhead court-martial for the immediate sentence and execution of a spy caught in civilian dress.”
“A pea on a drumhead is a restful object in comparison with Watson on that ice-hill.”
“Andre got a "drumhead" trial before General Washington.”
“drumhead" might be a tree, power pole, fencepost, or a house's siding or metalwork not appreciated by sleeping humans.”
“The pace subsides as Zeitlin becomes more ruminative; Wilson employs a weirdly eerie wooden flute that he somehow uses against the face of his drumhead and Williams bows in a decidedly ominous way.”
“The skin roof, stretched tightly as a drumhead, I had thought, sagged and bellied with every gust; and innumerable interstices in the walls, not so tightly stuffed with moss as Maud had supposed, disclosed themselves.”
“That they can shoot us by drumhead court martial if we refuse?”
“If you refused to go into the militia, or to obey after you were in, you would be tried by drumhead court martial and shot down like dogs.”
“Many militia officers were murdered, and many militiamen were executed by drumhead court martial.”
“Tom Paine wrote those words on a drumhead, by the light of a campfire.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘drumhead’.
figuratively named things with head
Looking for tweets for drumhead.