from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person in charge of paying wages and salaries.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An official in charge of payments to employees, troops, etc.
- n. A person or body which demands loyalty or services in return for payment (especially as paid in advance).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who pays; one who compensates, rewards, or requites; specifically, an officer or agent of a government, a corporation, or an employer, whose duty it is to pay salaries, wages, etc., and keep account of the same.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is to pay, or who regularly pays; one from whom wages or remuneration is received.
- n. An officer in the army whose duty it is to pay the officers and men their wages, and who is intrusted with money for this purpose.
- n. An officer in the United States navy who has charge of money, provisions, clothing, and small stores, and is responsible for their safe-keeping and issue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person in charge of paying wages
From pay + master. (Wiktionary)