from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A party or thing which compensates, pays or otherwise provides a compensation
- n. Any device used to compensate for something, notably to achieve a better balance
- n. A building control device used to deliver the compensation relationship or curve between the air temperature outside a building and the temperature of water or air provided to spaces or zones within the building for purposes of heating or cooling.
- n. One of several small magnets placed in the binnacle to neutralize the effect of the ship's metal on the compass
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, compensates; -- a name applied to various mechanical devices.
- n. An iron plate or magnet placed near the compass on iron vessels to neutralize the effect of the ship's attraction on the needle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which compensates.
Sorry, no etymologies found.