from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that limits: a limiter of choices.
- n. Electronics A circuit that prevents the amplitude of a waveform from exceeding a specified value. Also called clipper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That which limits.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, limits.
- n. A friar licensed to beg within certain bounds, or whose duty was limited to a certain district.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which limits or confines.
- n. A friar licensed to beg, collect convent-dues, preach, or perform other duties within certain limits, or in a certain district.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (electronics) a nonlinear electronic circuit whose output is limited in amplitude; used to limit the instantaneous amplitude of a waveform (to clip off the peaks of a waveform)
Sorry, no etymologies found.