from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who carries a standard or banner, especially of a military unit.
- n. An outstanding leader or representative of a movement, organization, or political party.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who carries a flag or banner (a standard).
- n. A person who visibly leads.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer or soldier of an army, company, or troop who bears a standard: used loosely and rhetorically: as, the standard-bearer of a political party.
- n. An African caprimulgine bird of either of the genera Macrodipteryx and Cosmetornis; a pennant-winged goatsucker.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an outstanding leader of a political movement
- n. the soldier who carries the standard of the unit in military parades or in battle
Sorry, no etymologies found.