American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that makes or sells candles.
- n. A retail dealer in specified goods or equipment: a ship chandler.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who makes or sells candles, or, formerly, torches.
- n. A huckster; a dealer in provisions.
- n. In composition, a dealer; a merchant: the particular application being determined by the other element of the compound: as, tallow-chandler, ship-chandler, corn-chandler, etc.
- n. A candlestick. See chandelier.
- n. A person who makes or sells candles
- n. A dealer in (a specific kind of) provisions or supplies
- n. A California variety of pomelo with a smoother skin than many other varieties.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A maker or seller of candles.
- n. A dealer in other commodities, which are indicated by a word prefixed.
- n. a maker (and seller) of candles and soap and oils and paints
- n. a retail dealer in provisions and supplies
- n. United States writer of detective thrillers featuring the character of Philip Marlowe (1888-1959)
- Middle English chaundeler, from Old French chandelier, from Vulgar Latin *candēlārius, from Latin candēla, candle; see candle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Here in California, I grow in my backyard "Oro Blanco" grapefruit and "chandler" pummelo.”
“In another kind of chandler's workshop, the liquid mixture is poured into plaster molds.”
“The word "chandler" is supposed to have been derived from the French”
“The entry is tagged under Bella Cullen Project, chandler nash.”
“Time to send money to Miller, Wilson denied his own profession chandler lewis”
“At twelve he was indentured for nine years as a bookkeeping apprentice to a ship chandler.”
“The Mott Bedell House was built in 1840 for a ships chandler who lived on Wall Street.”
“Ivan, if it's not about Hillary or Obama, why is it that moderates should vote for McCain only if Obama is the nominee, but not if Hillary is the nominee? chandler”
“Fri 07/09/10 1:13 AM totally agree – those 3 britton, chandler, fox were my fav…and i am more upset with january jones being nominated as best “actress” than any snubs”
“I had forgotten that he had once been apprenticed to a chandler.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chandler’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Candles, candle-making; photometry, and a couple of oily fish used as light sources.
Let's keep this to reasonably well known family names that are or used to be professions, trades, or arts.
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
Words as I learn them.
Economists like to cite "buggy whip maker" as an example of a profession whose career prospects were dimmed, and ultimately quenched, by the inexorable march of technological progress. This is a li...
Words and phrases from Scott Lynch's book, The Lies of Locke Lamora
Some of these professions still exist today but the word for them has changed; some (mason or boatswain, for example), are still in use but are included for their rich historical associations. Som...
People who make stuff.
words i find in my reading at college
Looking for tweets for chandler.