from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that sells foodstuffs and various household supplies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who sells groceries (foodstuffs and household items) retail from a grocery
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A trader who deals in meats, dairy products, produce, tea, sugar, spices, coffee, fruits, and various other commodities.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wholesale dealer: same as engrosser
- n. A trader who deals in general supplies for the table and for household use. See grocery, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a retail merchant who sells foodstuffs (and some household supplies)
Middle English, wholesaler, from Anglo-Norman grosser, from Medieval Latin grossārius, grocerius, from Late Latin grossus, thick.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)