from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that prepares and sells drugs and other medicines; a pharmacist.
- n. See pharmacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who makes and provides/sells drugs and/or medicines.
- n. A drugstore or pharmacy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who prepares and sells drugs or compounds for medicinal purposes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who practises pharmacy; a skilled person who prepares drugs for medicinal uses and keeps them for sale; a pharmacist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a health professional trained in the art of preparing and dispensing drugs
He used the word apothecary instead of doctor on purpose, and, as he explained afterwards, used it “to insult him.”
Hindoo pothukoor (whence our word apothecary) feeling my pulse and looking at me with an air of sagacity.
(whence our word apothecary) feeling my pulse and looking at me with an air of sagacity.
The rest of the errands were much like others he had run in the past, except for one small item; among the other items Cameron wanted from the apothecary was a remarkable quantity of laudanum, and for the first time since Paul had known him, a small amount of morphia.
It was — the government controlled it and the drugstores — and they were called apothecary shops carried tobacco.
The apothecary was a decently dressed young man with a kindly air and reasonably clean hands.
The fly in the ointment of the apothecary was a baby to you.
"You see, Will" -- every body called the apothecary's clerk Will -- "we had a school and Sid kept it, and he licked the fellers, and they couldn't stand it."
The bitter aloes of the apothecary is the dried juice of the leaves Aloe vulgaris.
The apothecary was a coarse good-natured fellow, one of that class of ignorant men upon whose brains the dregs of
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.